1. Name and territory of the Union.
(1) India, that is Bharat shall be a Union of States.
(3) The territory of India shall comprise -
(a) the territories of the States;
 [(b) the Union territories specified in the First Schedule; and]
(c ) such other territories as may be acquired.
2. Admission or establishment of new States.
3. Formation of new States and alteration of areas, boundaries or names of existing States. -
Parliament may by law -
(a) form a new State by separation of territory from any State or by uniting two or more States or parts of States or by uniting any territory to a part of any State;
(b) increase the area of any State;
(c ) diminish the area of any State;
(d) alter the boundaries of any State;
(e) after the name of any State:
4. Laws made under articles 2 and 3 to provide for the amendment of the First and the Fourth Schedules and supplemental, incidental and consequential matters.
Subs. by the Constitution (Seventh Amendment) Act, 1956, s. 2, for cl. (2) (w.e.f. 1-11-1956). ↩︎
Subs. by ibid., for sub-clause (b). ↩︎
Ins. by the Constitution (Thirty-fifth Amendment) Act, 1974, s. 2 (w.e.f. 1-3-1975). ↩︎
Subs. by the Constitution (Fifth Amendment) Act, 1955, s. 2, for the proviso (w.e.f. 24-12-1955). ↩︎
The words and letter “specified in Part A or Part B of the First Schedule” omitted by the Constitution (Seventh Amendment) Act, 1956, s. 29 and Sch. (w.e.f. 1-11-1956). ↩︎
Ins. by the Constitution (Eighteenth Amendment Act, 1966, s. 2 (w.e.f. 27-8-1966). ↩︎