What is Affidavit? Why it is used? Is it necessary?

Many times I heard the word ‘Affidavit’ but I don’t know the exact meaning and use of Affidavit. Can anyone please brief me in simple language?

I’m trying to explain it in simple.
Affidavit is a written statement of facts with signature of the concerned person, generally for producing before the Courts. One should be truthful while stating something on Affidavit and if there is false information, you are liable for penalties under law.
Further, an affidavit can be signed in the presence of a notary (notary is a person authorized by the Government to verify your signature for many types of legal documents). Generally a notary will check the person’s identity proof before allowing you to sign.
Although affidavits are considered legal documents, anyone can draft one. As long as it is signed, witnessed, and notarized correctly, it will be valid.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Affidavit is a written statement by deponent (any individual who is stating so) on oath or affirmation.
explanation: it is basically the statement given by the person in presence of authorised signatory (notary) witnessing the signature of individual (affiant/deponent)
Note: It may or may not be a fact, but in general it is considered as a fact since the statements are of the deponent.
Caution: It is preferable to state the known things/statements only and not under presumption or assumption.

2 Likes

I’ve submitted the above reply only to the context of Affidavit

1 Like